Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Sin Verguenza Wednesday: Did I really wear that in a highschool Lipsynch?



Good morning my SSMLs!




Today is Wednesday, and usually it is Sin Verguenza Wednesday, and I usually have a funny story for you....But today, I am going to show you how to avoid verguenza (embarrassment). Let me ask you this mi'ja, have you ever gone to the store to pick a melon or cucumber for that great salad you promised you would take for your work's potluck or a friend's barbecue? So you get to the store and you think, Oooh que la! How am I going to pick a melon or cucumber that tastes great and won't make my salad taste buhnasty? If you are like your nena, I strive for perfection. Just yesterday, I made a Gazpacho (chilled spicy soup) with cucumber, celery, tomato, and v-8 juice. I am chopping my cucumber and I've already dumped it in the bowl, when I decide to pop a lil piece in my mouth, and Gatos Prietos! My cucumber tasted bitter to the very end. Both of them, nena! So, what do I do? Well of course my ALS (Angry Latina Syndrome) kicks in, and there is no one to yell at except the cucumber and my dog child. But of course I'm not going to yell at my sweet lil doggie, so I let that pepino have it, nena! Could you imagine if I had not tasted that cucumber and would've taken my Gazpacho to work? Y'jole, do I really want to be known as the Mexicana who can't cook? For shame nena! I mean aren't we known for being great cooks? Okay, okay a lil bit of a stereotype there, but still! (That's another thing mi'ja, a great cook always tastes their food as they are preparing it, and definitely, before they serve it.) Just remember that, okay? Because NO ONE, I mean NO ONE, wants to be known as the nena at work that can't cook, or whose food tastes bad, que no? Bueno, today we are going to learn how to pick that perfect melon or cucumber. Here are some tips from the nice people at Expert Village.




Picking a Cucumber:


When looking for a cucumber, the experts suggest choosing one that has:




1) A Skinny shape.


2) A firm texture


3) A nice even dark green texture


4)No bruises, wrinkling or dimpling (This can be a sign that the cucumber is dried up. If you have a dry cucumber, you will have a bitter and flavorless cucumber.)


5) If a cucumber has a yellow side to it, that tells you that it has been sitting on it's side, and is probably ripe.




Picking a melon:


When looking for a cantaloupe, look for the following:


1) A melon that has a yellow color around the shell.


2) Cantaloupes are in season in the months of July and August, these will be the best times of year to purchase them.


3) Press lightly on the ends of the cantaloupe, if there is a bounce to it, you know it is ripe.


4) Smell the melon. If it smells sweet, it is probably a ripe melon.




Picking a Watermelon:


Here are some tips for picking a watermelon:


1) Look for a watermelon that has a nice symmetrical shape. It can be round or oblong, as long as it looks symmetrical.


2) A darker watermelon will be sweeter.


3) A watermelon that is heavier for it's size will be juicier.


4) Look for a yellow spot on the watermelon. This is where the melon has been sitting on the ground and has had a chance to ripen.


5) A watermelon must be firm with not soft spots.


6) Give your melon a thump. If it sounds hollow, then you've got a ripe one. If it sounds like a thud or high pitch, it is probably not ripe.




So, now we know, nena. And knowing is half the battle! Okay, did I just quote the G.I. Joe cartoon? LOL So hopefully this will save us from being a "Sin Verguenza!"




Besitos! ;)




Oh! P.S. One of our Super Sexy Modern Latinas asked this:




Question: "How do we care for our Pillows without them getting all lumpy, and how often should we replace them?"




Answer: Hi nena, take a look at my older post "Pillow Talk," for some info on how to properly care for your pillow. The experts at Goodhousekeeping recommend changing your pillow out every 1 to 2 years. They suggest that if your pillow is lumpy or bumpy it may be time to part with your pillow pal. Also, if you fold it over and it stays folded over, it's time to say goodbye to your lil friend. But hey! Say hello to a brand new crisp and cool one.




Besitos! ;)




P.S.S. To answer my own question that I've been avoiding: Yes nena, yours truly wore fruit on her head for our highschool's homecoming lipsynch of the song "Cuban Pete," from the movie the "Mask." I think I borrowed some plastic fruit from my Abuela's kitchen table! LOL But, we won the lipsynch! Sometimes we must sacrifice fashion in the name of a 1st place homecoming lipsynch mi'ja! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment