Monday, June 13, 2011

She's baaaaaaack!!!!


Miss Manners Monday-Dare to Compare

Good morning my Super Sexy Modern Latinas!
It has been much too long as one of my nenas commented me. Que paso? you may ask. Well mija, life and work happens. But your nena is back and in full effect! Today is Miss Manners Monday!

I have been reading my biblia alot lately, and there was this really cool story about two hermanas. One of them was gorgeous, maybe let's say a JLo type, and the other was not too bonita. Maybe like an ugly betty type. Okay, pues. La Hermana Rachel was madly in love with Jacob. And Jacob was madly in love with her. Pero, Rachel's papa was old school. Tu sabes. Y le dijo, "bueno Jacob, I will give you my hija; but first you must work for me for 7 years, and I will give you my hija's hand in marriage." And so Jacob, did so. Pero, the girl's dad was a shady character. Instead of giving him Rachel, he gave Jacob Rachel's hermana Leah. Can you believe it mija? I know what your thinking, "Oh no he didn't!" So then Jacob penso, okay I will work another 7 years to have Rachel tambien. Could you imagine mija? Sharing yo man with your hermana!? Oh, heck no! Pero, tu sabes. Jacob loved Rachael more. So of course, pobresita Leah knows this. So she does everything she can to win Jacob's love. She gives him many hijos. Pero, he is still madly in love with Rachel. No matter how many hijos she gives Jacob, he still loves Rachel more. So naturally there are some cellos (jealousy) between the hermanas. Especially since Rachel can't have hijos as naturally as Leah. Rachel finally does have an hijo of her very own with Jacob, but Rachel dies in child birth. Wow! Sounds like a regular novela, que no? If you want to read the whole story it is in Genesis chapter 29-30.


But this cuento got me to thinking, how often do we compare ourselves to our other hermanas blood born or otherwise, based on looks? Or even worse, judge others by their appearance? Guilty as charged nena. Just the other day, two of my favorite nenas were telling me their plans for summer and how they were trying to lose weight for their Vegas trip. These nenas are gorgeous mind you. Thin and absolutely stunning. I imagine these nenas wake up perfectly put together. Pero, they were telling me that they wanted to get skinny. "Anorexic skinny", one said jokingly. Intonces, I started thinking, Dang! these chicas must think I am a water buffalo! And I immediately felt like one, after THEY were thinking about losing weight. All weekend, your nena felt awful. Now, mind you it was that time of the month, when Tia Flo Jo comes to town. Thank goodness my esposo digs gorditas; the taco bell kind, and my kind. And if it isn't our weight we compare, then it is our clothes, or our hair, or even silly things like eyelashes, or body parts. We often get down on ourselves, when we are absoulutely perfect just the way we are. Como dijo, that lil cutie Bruno Mars.

So this week mija, I want all of us SSMLs try a little exercise. Pay yourself a compliment every day this week. Thank Diosito for making you who you are. Tell yourself you like your curly hair, your ability to decorate, the shape of your deditos. Let's have manners and be nice to ourselves. We would never think of telling someone to their face that they look like a water buffalo, so then why would we say that or think that about ourselves?

So here is my compliment to myself today. "Nena, I like your ability to sing like a diva."



Try it mija. We all have our own special talents and qualities that make us unique and loveable, that are worth more than our looks and weight.



Besitos!


Tu nena para siempre! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment